Explicit column naming on INSERT question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joel Stevenson
Subject Explicit column naming on INSERT question
Date
List pgsql-general
Buenas tardes, all.

I'm puzzled by my inability to use the following INSERT statement:

INSERT INTO RM_USER VALUES(RM_USER.ID, RM_USER.FIRST_NAME) VALUES(1, 'DUBYA')

it seems that postgres is unhappy about the explicit column naming
(e.g. 'RM_USER.ID' instead of just 'ID') because I end up with
either:

ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "values"

or

ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "."

Take out the explicit table name and everything is fine.  The real
problem is that I've got a significant amount of code that uses this
explicit naming scheme (whether it's really the best thing to do or
not, that's the way it is now) and oh what a headache I'll have if I
have to go through it all and change this.  I'm running 7.0.2, does
anybody know if this is also the case in any more recent versions of
postgres?

Thanks.